Here is another recipe!
WordPresser Andrea wanted me to cost out a recipe, so not only are you going to get a recipe for a healthy dish, but you can also see how inexpensive it can be to make! (Prices from Wal-Mart)
I found this recipe on Pinterest and I thought it looked really good. And since I eat weird things for meals, I just ate this as my dinner. It was really easy to put together.
Avocado and Tomato Salad
- 2 tomatoes, cubed (about 2 cups)
- 1 8 oz ball of fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 avocados, pitted, peeled and cubed (about 2 cups)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons dried basil leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Wash your tomatoes
2. Slice and dice your tomatoes into bite size cubes. Place into a bowl.
3. Cube the WHOLE ball of mozzarella cheese. If you wanted to use the brick mozzarella cheese, you can, but it doesn’t really have the same effect, and doesn’t taste as good. Place into the bowl with the tomatoes.
4. Pit your avocados. Score the inside of the four halves and scoop out the insides with a spoon. Place cubes into a bowl.
*Avocado tip: Keeping the pit in with the avocado can help with the browning. It doesn’t stop it completely, and it isn’t as good as lemon juice, but it does help. You can do the same thing with homemade guacamole.
5. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle the dried basil leaves onto the food and toss together.
6. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to your liking.
7. Either eat it by itself (like I did) or us it as a side dish to roasted chicken or baked fish!
Serving size: 1/2 cup (6 servings total), Calories: 246 calories, Protein: 12 g, Total Fat: 18 g,Carbohydrates: 9 g, Sodium: 206 mg, Fiber: 4 g
- Avocados, .84 cents each = $1.68
- Tomatoes, $1.64 a lb = $1.67
- Mozzarella ball = $2.98
- Olive Oil* = $5.98
- Dried Basil Leaves* = $4.48
- Total = $6.33 (Including estimated cost of olive oil and basil = $16.79)
- Price per serving = $1.06 (Including estimated cost of olive oil and basil = $2.69)
*I did not have to buy olive oil or the basil, because I already had it in my pantry. So this is the cost if you had to buy these ingredients.
I thought this tasted really good. It is creamy from the avocado and cheese and very fresh from the tomato. Make sure you prepare this right before you serve it. You do not want the avocado to turn brown. It does not look appetizing.
Hope you enjoy!